Saturday, August 30, 2008

Balancing Life in Rural Ministry...

Today is the first day I have been lonely out here. And not just a little lonely, but like down to the bone lonely. It is a hard adjustment to go from being really busy at two churches to being in the middle of the country with one. I am actually looking forward to starting work to have something to do. I am interested in seeing how this goes...life in the heart of finn country...I have a feeling that just as my ministry will be a challenge, so will my social life. All I hope right now, is that it gets better than today.

On another note, this week is going to be a big one. I meet with the family we are doing Tuesday's memorial service with tomorrow. Monday I hope to get some office work done and get things ready for the memorial service. Tuesday I have prayer group and the memorial service (and I think a committee meeting at night). Wednesday I have a graveside service for someone else. Thursday I have Interchurch Ministries, and Friday my friends and family start coming for my ordination which is Saturday. Sunday is my first service here...and then the week starts again.

Maybe I will go work on things for the service now. That will take my mind off today.

I must confess this funk I am in also is because a couple of pretty important folks aren't coming to my ordination. My "adopted" grandma is not able to come for health reasons, and my friend Paul isn't coming because he couldn't get off work. Yuck.

At any rate, as my Mom would say "Today isn't forever it just feels like it!"
Off to get some office work done...

Chat at ya later!
Amy <><

1 comment:

~dgee said...

Amy,
for strength, for peace, for time to reflect... these are ways in which God works in times such as these. Yes, the loneliness can be palpable, but so can the opportunity to "take off your shoes" and know that you are walking on hallowed ground. Your call to this congregation is clearly God-breathed. My prayer for you this day is that you might be given the "vision" to see the ways in which God is indeed at work... even in the painful and lonely times as well!

In Christ, ~ PD