Friday, July 17, 2009

Pastor's Taking Time to Grieve...

I have another funeral this weekend. So today, I sat down to write down to write the sermon for her funeral and was almost instantly stuck. What was my problem? I decided to go out to the cemetary and walk by her headstone (her husband was buried several years ago). It was there as I started to cry that I realized that I will miss this woman deeply. She was one of the first people to recognize me as pastor...one of those shut-ins whom everytime you visit you would learn something, and one of those women who you cannot help but admire.

So today, because of Myrtle, I started a new practice. I put a blanket down on the ground, at the cemetary, pulled out my laptop. I wrote a letter to her...not that she will be able to read it, but as a way of focusing myself, allowing myself a chance to say good-bye, and giving myself some focus to my thoughts that had been all over the place.

It was a time of grieving, cleansing, and just being with God. I consider it a holy moment, and am thankful to God for giving me the idea.

So here's the question for the day...what are some of the ways you grieve? For those of you who are pastors...do you take time to grieve the folks in your congregation before the funeral? After?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Grace and peace,
Pastor Amy <><

No comments: