Monday, February 2, 2009

DIfferences that are found in death...

I am sitting in my office this evening, trying to come up with the texts and a sermon for a funeral that I have this week...but I must admit this one really has me thinking.

The last funeral I had was for a man in his mid 50s who had died of cancer. It was a hard funeral, complete with military honors, and the church was packed.

The funeral this week will be for another amazing woman of God, who lived a simple life, and loved it, but ended up dying from complications of dementia. She was only in her 60s.

As I spoke with people at the visitation, many of them commented about how this death wasn't a sad death...that it was a mixed blessing because of her struggle with dementia for the past ten years.

And so here I sit, just thinking...these deaths are so different and yet so the same. The people are still grieving the loss of their loved one, but they also see the blessing that she is now with her Savior, and has been given a new life...she is a new creation.

I am glad to be able to be the pastor to these people, given the chance to get a glimpse into who their loved ones are, and who they are. I know I am blessed, so very blessed to be able to be a part of this place. I just hope that whenever my time comes to die, that people can find the joy that is found in this funeral this week...knowing that I too am in a better place...knowing that I too have become a new creation!

May it be the same for all of you.

And may you find ways this week, to count your blessings, because whether or not you realize them, they are abundant!

Grace and peace,
Amy <><

No comments: