Monday, November 24, 2008

SLOW DOWN!!! (In the Waiting...)

So I find myself today thinking that people (including myself) just really need to slow down. We have had a run of accidents (auto-related) in our church recently, and came very close to losing a couple of members. One accident happened when someone ran a stop sign, and another happened because of slippary roads.

But I couldn't help but think that both of the accidents (one of which was fatal) could have been avoided if people had just slowed down. We are going too fast in our society, and we don't even realize that by going so fast we are missing life entirely.

As we approach the Advent season, and are celebrating Thanksgiving...life all around us is already at Christmas. It is this hurry up and get through mentality that has a lot of folks depressed and despondent.

I was reading the Isaiah text for Sunday (Isaiah 64:1-9), and thinking about how we feel like Isaiah felt...that if God would tear open the heavens and come down that life would be better.

I spent a bit of this morning journalling for this first time since becoming a pastor. I just haven't been taking the time to do it. And I realize that I need to slow down too. I am adament in our church that we won't have Christmas before Christmas...the lights are not going to be turned on the tree until Christmas Eve, as a symbol that Christmas doesn't come during Advent. We need to slow down and recognize that in the waiting God is working. In the waiting we can see others and help others. In the waiting we can hear God speaking...

So my friends...I wish you peace in the waiting. Take some time this week, and in the coming weeks to appreciate Advent for what it really is...a time to wait...a time to prepare our hearts, and a time to slow down and appreciate all that God is doing-in the waiting time.

Grace and peace,
Amy <><

No comments: