Thursday, April 8, 2010

With a bit of a broken heart...

It is with a bit of a broken heart that I write this latest blog entry. I just learned that another one of my Luther Seminary classmates committed suicide, and am still in a state of shock.

There are no words for the loss to our world for her leaving it, and no words to the hurt in my heart that another pastor lost all hope and couldn't see any other alternative than to end it all.

With so much suicide happening in my classmates (I believe this is number 4), I wonder at what is happening in the hearts of the people that I sat in classes with and worshiped next to. I hurt for their congregations and their families as they struggle to make sense of a world that is a bit more broken now that their loved ones are not in it.

But I also see it from the side of those who have lost hope. This is not an easy profession to be a part of. It can be easy at times to get so discouraged that the light you are called to preach is the very light you need to hear yourself. I pray for all of you, my friends in ministry, and my friends in other professions, that you find people that will speak the light to you on the dark days. That when things get so dark that you can't find the light anymore, that you have people to show you the way. And if ever, you are in need of someone to speak the light to you, I am a phone call or a click away. I hope you are the same for me. We are called to walk through this life together...to shine with the light of Christ to each other, and to help each other walk through the valley.

Whether you are my close friend, or a stranger who happened across this blog today, know that you don't need to lose hope. Cling to it with all your might. For God, who has promised, is faithful. He loves you today, tomorrow, and always, and NEVER leaves your side.

Keep shining.
Pastor Amy

1 comment:

Mary Hess said...

My heart aches as well... I count three, though? I must have missed the other one. Even more heartache that I was not aware.