Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Preaching the gospel when you need it yourself...

This week has proved to be a challenging one. I am preparing for 2 memorial services, with a possible third coming next week. I just got back from Urban Plunge (25 youth to the cities for a service project), and am trying to get ready for a very full Holy Week.

Meanwhile I am really struggling with a friendship/relationship in my personal life...

It is just a lot on the plate of this new pastor, and I just wish I could go and sit and soak up the gospel somewhere...go back to a place of the mountaintop where everyone loves everyone and the presence of God is palpable.

It feels right now hard to preach the gospel when I feel like I need to hear it myself.

I don't know if it is the winter or all the deaths, or what, but I know that I am finding myself deeply missing my friends, and the joy that I had when I first started this job.

Hopefully this is just a funk that can be overcome. It was suggested by a friend of mine to just keep going...and one of the quotes that hangs on my bulletin board in my office says this: "Practice is to Judaism what belief is to Christianity. Your faith may come and go but your practice ought not to waiver." (The quote is from my favorite author, Lauren F. Winner)

So, I am doing my best to keep going, hoping that God will put the encouragement, hope and joy back into my life that I am lacking so much right now.

What about you?? What do you do when you go through tough stretches of time? Do you have any suggestions?

Until the next post...grace and peace to you my friends!
Amy <><

No comments: